“Each person deserves a day away in which no problems are confronted, no solutions searched for. Each of us needs to withdraw from the cares which will not withdraw from us.” Maya Angelou
How do you disappear from cancer? How do you get away – even when you can’t take some fabulous vacation or spend a week being pampered at the spa? When you’re in the midst of treatment for cancer you may feel like your identity is CANCER PATIENT. Who you are as a person with a life outside of the infusion room or the radiation department can seem far away and difficult to remember. Who am I beyond this world of cancer that constantly surrounds me?
You are more than a cancer patient. It’s important to find ways that help you to remember and possibly rediscover yourself. Here are some simple ideas that may help you take a break from the cares of cancer.
- Listen to your favorite music.
- Watch a movie or television program that distracts you.
- If you feel strong enough — take a walk.
- Read a book.
- Watch a podcast – I enjoy watching TED talks.
- Hang out with friends and have a good laugh!
- Find ways to relax like meditation, massage, a warm bath.
- Spend some time doing something that is creative for you.
- Take a nap.
- Do something that you really enjoy!
If any of you have other suggestions or ideas, please feel free to comment.